Peter Loso was main settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German pay out in August, 1854. He said section 9-10 which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon adopted and the Township was planned in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph attained its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Town was designed in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its individuals, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a jail, install a community well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and establish liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also problems and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was planned, which happens to be the St. Joseph Hearth Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was thriving with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the family members after multiple years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing the time to milk cows so additional time could be spent on crops and pet care. Immediately after, World Warfare 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to struggle.
After the conflict ended people were in a position to get their lives back again on track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the market crash. Together with the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to stay together as part of your. Through a federal offer, the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially came into the united states into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens received out because so many items were in website short supply. In those days St. Joseph had a people of around 1050, shedding 10 heroic troops to the war. The community remained strong and ongoing to improve the Town, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus read more a new Village well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its drinking water supply, and persists to do so.